Thursday, November 17, 2011

The Epic of Sydnee's Hair.....

BEFORE
       For those of you who know my daughter I would bet that you would agree that she has no problem communicating what she wants.  When she went to the 3's program in preschool every little girl in her class had long hair, I am talking down to their mid-back section.  At that moment Sydnee decided that her bob she was rockin wasn't good enough.  Her hair MUST touch her butt before she would be happy.  For all of you mom's out there you will understand my reaction; "No, no, no, no, no way."  She proceed to look at me with these huge brown eyes and says "but Mommy my hair would look so pretty, PLEASE."  I caved.....
       As long as she kept her hair out of her face and did not throw a fit every time there was a knot in her hair she would be able to grow out her hair.  Sydnee has done a great job keeping her end of the deal up, I however did not think my end through at all!  Did you know that Sydnee has a ton of hair and that it is very thick.  This translates into; I have spent HUNDREDS of hours doing her hair over the last 2 years.  The day that I spent more time doing her hair then mine I made a plan.  I will out smart my daughter (she was only 4, it shouldn't be that hard) and talk her into chopping off her hair.........

AFTER
       Sydnee will be 6 on November 29th and every time we get her hair cut I start planting the "chop it off" seed.  (To be honest I have been shocked that I have not been able to talk her into it in 2 YEARS.  I would also like to say that this does not reflect on my "smooth talking" skill, she is just that stubborn!)  I have tried pointing out other little girls with cute shorter hair cuts, reminding her how many tangles she gets into her hair and how many hours we have spend sitting on the bathroom flooring doing her hair.  Her response has always been,"no" or "Mommy I keep it out of my face and do not throw fits about the tangles.  I just want a trim."  So to my disappointment....we trim her hair.  UNTIL YESTERDAY! YEAH! YES! RIGTH ON!  She was sitting in the Stylist chair, the Stylist asks her how much she wants to cut off.  Sydnee says, "up to here."  The Stylist had not been briefed on the Epic battle of Mom VS Sydnee's hair so she blindly says, "oh but honey your hair is so pretty.  Are you sure that you want to cut off that much?"  I ran across the room, before Sydnee has a chance to answer and bark "just do it NOW!".  Looking back I probably responded to harshly and am lucky that I was not kicked out of the salon.  After we left the salon and Sydnee had left 10 pounds of hair on their floor I asked why she was ready now to cut off so much.  This is what I was told, "Mommy I am pretty no matter what my hair looks like.  Beside you couldn't see my beautiful face behind all of it."  Self confidence is not going to be an issue.....WATCH OUT WORLD!

2 comments:

  1. OH. My. Gosh. Laura, you are so screwed.

    Luckily, we can assume God knew what He was doing when He gave Syd to YOU to raise.

    Glad you didn't get booted from the salon. That would have been plain embarrassing...=)

    Love you =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know Kendra I have no idea where she gets this attitude from.... totally clue less. Let's just blame Paul.

    ReplyDelete